Churches on the Evesham Preedy Trail
A Tour of this Talented Victorian Architects Work
Why a Preedy Trail in Evesham?
Besides seeing many splendid examples of the work of Frederick Preedy, the Trail leads us to beautiful villages, and some fine old buildings in Evesham itself, that would have existed in the times of the Preedy family such as the Great Gateway, the Almonry, the Town Hall and other buildings described in the Evesham Town guide.
All Saints, Evesham. Map Location 1
Grid ref. SP 036 437
The church ofAll Saints was significantly restored by Preedy. who also designed the pulpit and reredos_ and some furnishings, The elaborate East window tells the Gospel story while the other Preedy windows illustrate the Prophets. the Apostles and Martyrs, and also The Corporeal Acts of Mercy. See the memorial plaque to Preeds grandfather.
St Lawrence, Evesham. Map Location 2
Grid ref: SP 036 436
Restoration by Harvey Eginton. The north aisle window by Preedy has a Pentecost theme. Look for the unusual Butterfield haloes.
Now cared for by The Churches Trust.
Union Workhouse Chapel, Evesham. Map Location 3
Grid Ref: SP 038 432
The chapel was built by Preedy in bold decorative style (1880) The dedication above the West door to Mary Magdalene is amply illustrated in the East window. The good windows in the former chancel are also by Preedy The chapel was used by Avonside Hospital and is now Stuart Pharmacy (make appointment to see all of east window.)
All Saints, Church Lench. Map Location 4
Grid ref: SP 023 513
Chancel rebuilt by Preedy and the windows here are a good example of his early work. All the other eight windows were also made by him at different times with stylistic developments. Preddy restored much of the church. His sympathetic furnishings and decorations are exceptional. He designed the school opposite with bellcote and teachers house. Look out for the unusual edifying texts on outside of school.
St Andrew Cleave Prior. Map Location 5
Grid Ref: SP 088 494
The six Corporeal Acts of Mercy are the subject of the colourful East window in memory of Elizabeth Morton the vicars wife in 1869. Look for the heavenly host of angels surrounding Christ in glory. The two other Sanctuary windows are also by Preedy.
St. John the Baptist, Fladbury. Map Location 6
Grid Ref: SO 996463
He restored the nave and rebuilt the chancel. Most furnishings are by Preedy including the pews, pulpit and splendid reredos. Fladbury is one of the best places to study the development of Preddys glass (ten windows in nearly 3 decades). Look out for family dedications and brasses including the one to Frederick Preedy himself. Family house the The Chantry and a Preedy designed school nearby. Preedy family graves in the churchyard.
St James the Great, Harvington
Grid Ref: SP 057 488
The spire, originally shingled, was added by Preedy as part of a major early restoration. The east window has been cleaned and superbly restored recently. It has an unusually wide centre panel. A mandorla with a border of angels surrounds the figure of Christ in glory, above a striking circle of Apostles.
St Mary & Milburgh, Offenham
Grid ref: SP 053 463
Preedy rebuilt the whole church 1861 in the village his birth except for the C15 tower. Many furnishings by Preedy and some very fine stained glass including a rose window, and a ten-foiled circle at the top of the East window The beautiful alabaster reredos and pulpit display his masterly design.
St Peters Rous Lench
Grid ref: SP 041 533
The fine Neo-Norman bellcote and mortuary chapel were part of Preedys major restoration in 1885. The Rose window has a six characteristic Preedy Angels and there is some Preedy furniture.
St. John the Baptist and St Lawrence, Weston-sub-Edge
Grid Ref: SP 128406
Another Preedy school opposite, made of Cotswolds stone with bellcote, is now private housing. Major restoration of the collapsing Medieval church in 1851. All 12 windows bt Preedy. The four in the chancel cover incidents in the life of John the Baptist.